Thursday, November 12, 2009

the Ann Gale experiment

Justin assigned us two paintings after the unique style of Ann Gale (broken, pixelated messy, blotchy, broken brushstrokes). Here are the results...



This first one was fun, and although it is interesting enough, I don't think I'd ever paint like that. Something about it just doesn't work. It looks like I'm trying to be someone else, which, for this assignment, I was. For the next painting, I took what I learned from the first, put away the Ann Gale painting that I was looking at, and just painted. This is the result...

It works a lot better, doesn't it? I actually really like this one! I could see myself painting more like this. It harkens back to my impressionist days. What a great exercise!

3 comments:

  1. I love that face, as well as your rendering of it. What a lovely little subject you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that little nora! You are amazing Tandy. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we must always paint from our heart, not someone else's.

    ReplyDelete