Monday, September 13, 2010

Portrait Process

Alright, here's a step-by-step of the three Gillespie portraits, from start to finish...

First, I get the drawing wet on the back by dipping a brush into a bowl of water...
Then paste the thing, front and back, with matte medium (this is sort of like mod-podge), using an old credit card or something to smooth it out...
Make sure the front gets a good coat.
Once it dries, set it up and begin!
The setup: reference photo on the laptop, palette (I've tried probably a dozen different commercial palettes, but I've settled on disposables as my favorite), easel, turp, etc.
Closeup of the palette...

A closeup of the palette...
Lay in the darks and a general background (this can be painted over later; it's just best not to have white to compare the skin tones with).








And the finished products.


1 comment:

  1. This was a fun post. I love the "how to" of painting.

    And I'm a big fan of disposable anything.

    ReplyDelete